Skip to main content

Bozeman Convenience Site FAQs

Why do I have to pay to dump if I am a resident of the county?

The Gallatin Solid Waste Management District is an enterprise fund and does not receive tax dollars. All programs are funded by landfill tipping fees.

Can I use a credit card that is not mine (i.e. boss, company, family member) to pay for disposal?

Yes, you will need to have the information with you so you can manually enter it when you are at the scale to pay.

Why are the rates higher at BCS?

Everything dropped off at BCS must be hauled to Logan Landfill, which significantly increases  costs.

When does the BCS close due to weather?

BCS does not close for inclement weather as much as Logan Landfill. If you want to confirm that the site is open, please call 406-587-7890

What is the policy for getting rid of a refrigerator, freezer or A/C unit? Refrigerators/freezers/water coolers/air conditioning units are NOT accepted at BCS  unless you can provide documentation that all refrigerants have been properly evacuated. They may be taken to Logan Landfill, Four Corners Recycling, or Pacific Steel & Recycling to be evacuated and recycled for a fee.

How do I dispose of paint?

Oil-based paint needs to be taken to the hazardous waste facility at  Bozeman Convenience Site.  You may attend an HHW event  (the second Saturday of each month unless the weather is forecast to be 0 degrees or below) or you may call BCS 406-587-7890 to schedule a time to drop it off during regular business hours.  Latex paint is not hazardous.  Dry the paint or solidify it with cat litter, sawdust, floor dry, sand, etc. to make a thick, non-pourable paste.   It can be disposed  with your regular trash.

How do I dispose of Household Hazardous material?

Hazardous items can be taken to the free HHW event held at Bozeman Convenience Site the second Saturday of every month.  (Events will be canceled if the weather is forecast to be 0 degrees or below)  If you cannot make the free drop off event,  you can call Ray Harrison, our HHW Specialist, at 406-539-1161 or the Bozeman Convenience site at 406-587-7890 to set up a time during the week to drop off items.

Why are tires more expensive to get rid of?

Tires do not compact well or degrade, and occupy a lot of air space.

Do you accept electronic waste?

We do not accept e-waste at the BCS. The electronic waste building is located at Logan Landfill.  Electronic waste is $27/ton with a $5 minimum.

What do you do with compost at the Bozeman Convenience Site?

Compost operations at BCS are managed by the City of Bozeman. Please contact them for more information (406-582-3200)